Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Know Me



I made some revisions to Know Me, with new lyrics in the bridge and a slightly different tag at the end. -- MT
.................................................

Do songs have gestation periods? I don't know, but it certainly feels as if some songs take longer to come to fruition than others do.

When I started playing the chorus of this song in my mind I was walking to work in the cold and rain of the dark winter mornings of the Northwest. Six months later it's sunny outside, the sun is bright and warm when I walk to work, and this song is "finished" enough to post it here.

"Know Me" stems, I think, from 1 Corinthians 13:12: "Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

Wherever it comes from, I think it expresses our universal desire to be known by our God.


I want to thank my daughter for helping me reorient this song and put it in the right perspective. Thanks, Kae!

Actually, I should thank the whole family. By the time I get a song down and recorded I've been singing it in disjointed, weird, disruptive spurts throughout the house for weeks on end. Everyone is a little tired of it by then. I think Jack the dog is tired of it by then. So thanks, all, for humoring my odd noisy time-consuming hobby!

Key of G 4/4 Ballad Feel:100

VERSE 1
--Em----------------D ---------------Em---------Bm
A single blade of grass waves in an endless prairie

--Em--------------------D -----------Em---------Bm
The smallest drop of rain falls in a fathomless sea

---Bm------------D
In a universe so vast

---------------Bm------------D
There’s only one thing I can ask

---G
of thee…

CHORUS
--------------G------D--------C----------Bm
Oh Lord please know me… by a sacred holy name

-------------G----D-------------C-------------Bm
Oh won’t you know me… in all my glory and my shame

----G---------------D------------C-------Bm
Lord come and know me here in my lonely exile

---------G---------D-------------C
Oh Lord please know me… I’m your child

VERSE 2
------Em-------------D ---------------Em--------------Bm
The more I seek your face the more it seems to slip away

-------Em------------D ----------Em---------Bm
Each mystery I unravel leads me farther astray

-------------Bm---------------D
I pray one day your wondrous eyes

-------------Bm------------D
Will rest on me and recognize

---G
My face…


(CHORUS)


BRIDGE
---D-----------Em-------------F#m/D----------------G
I open my soul to you Lord revealing everything I am

---D-------------Em-------------F#m/D--------------A
A broken child a sinful heart a lost and wondering lamb

---D-----------Em----------F#m/D------------------G
I open my soul to you Lord revealing everything I am

---D---------------Em-------------F#m/D-------------A
Search me Lord and know me more my life is in your hands

----------Em – D ---------Em - D
… in your hands … in your hands

(CHORUS X2)

No comments:

Post a Comment