Saturday, May 30, 2009

Is This The Love



Some songs take a lot of work. I had to go back to this one about 4 times: Once for the chorus' lyrics, once to change the key, once to rewrite the verses... finally to transpose to a lower key and add a key change. (I say that last bit so matter-of-factly, when transposing keys and writing a key change still seems like voodoo magic to me.)

But I went back to it four times because I kept thinking there was something there. Something in the message about the freeing grace of Jesus, something in the chorus that soars so beautifully even when sung by a voice like mine.

So it's by no means perfect, but I'm closer to doing justice to my vision of what this song could be, do, say, and feel like.


It was born when I was thinking about some of the ordinary, nameless people whose lives gave testimony to the grace of Jesus. What did they think when they encountered his healing grace?

I ended up writing about the Geresene demoniac in Mark, the woman accused of adultery in John, and one of the criminals crucified with Jesus on Golgotha. To each of them I applied the question, "Is this the love that frees me? Frees me from my sin, frees me from my self-centeredness, frees me from my demons?

I wish I could see Jesus in that light every day without fail. I might appreciate him more.


Make me ecstatic: if you drop by to listen to the song please leave a comment and tell me what you think.


Key of Gmin | 4/4 Slow, about 100 | A "rock opera" feel?

Intro: Gm /// F / Eb … Gm /// F / Eb

VERSE 1
Gm ----------------------Am-Gm
This graveyard is my home, Legion is my name

Dmin------------------------------Eb
Night and day I howl at those who set these chains

Gm ----------------------Am-Gm
You come up from the shore, healing words you speak

Dmin----------------------------Eb
The demons that consume me flee into the sea

------F
Am I now free?


CHORUS
--------------------- Gm - Eb
Is this the love that frees me

-------F
Is the light that shines from you

-------------------Gm - Eb
Something I can believe in

---F
A beacon of God’s truth

Eb
Dawn is breaking, my soul awakening

-----------------------------F
It’s your voice that I hear calling

Eb
Joy surrounds me and love abounds

------------------------ F
Into your presence I am falling

--------------------Gm – F - Eb
Is this the love that frees me


VERSE 2
Gm -----------------Am - Gm
A woman with no name, kneeling on the ground

Dmin------------------------------- Eb
Violent men who seek my death are gathered ‘round

Gm--------------------------Am - Gm
Their hands hold jagged stones, mine tremble with fear

Dmin--------------------------------------- Eb
You speak and hearts are softened and God’s peace draws near

-----F
What man are you?


CHORUS

Key change to A minor

VERSE 3
Am----------------Gm - Am
Hanging next to you, nailed here for my crimes

E min----------------------------- F
My heavy heart regrets a life of wasted time

Am-------------------Gm - Am
Your eyes look into mine, a smile lights your face

E min --------------------- F
The words you whisper to me pull me into grace

----- G
Lord wait for me…

CHORUS and FADE

No comments:

Post a Comment