Monday, May 18, 2009

Glorious Failures


This is Take 2 of this song. The original audio was pretty bad. I'd love to do this one if "full rock" mode with guitars and drums some day. -- MT

I'm a terrible piano player. In fact, I'm not a piano player at all. I'm a bassist (sometimes). So it took me about 45 tries to get this end-to-end track, with both of my daughters giggling at me while I stumbled through my many attempts.

"Glorious Failures" is a reflection on the contrast between earthly success -- the right job, the right house, the right spouse -- and the and success we feel when we finally grasp the message of the Gospel and begin to move in the "river of grace."

The more we succeed according to the terms of this world, the steeper and more treacherous becomes the path we need to follow behind Jesus.

I don't know what the answer is to this dilemma. I still spend more time worrying about how I can get a new car and secure my retirement than I do about how I can serve the kingdom. But those few times when I've stood still and let Jesus breath on me, work through me, are the times when I feel most complete.

"Jesus told him,
“If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” But when the young man heard this, he went away sad, for he had many possessions." Matthew 19:21

How many times have I thought, "I'm the young man"?

Please pay special attention to the way I fumble my own words at the end of the bridge. Sometimes I wonder what I'm doing, trying to write songs of all things!

Rock feel about 118, key of A

VERSE 1
A-----G -----------Em------------Esus4
So beguiled by the promises life offers us

----A -------G -------Asus4
We climb and climb in our own hands we place our trust

-----A ---- G ---Em --------------- Esus4
The sirens sing “Have it your way” “Just do it”

A----- G---Asus4
So we plan endless schemes to strike it rich

---------A ---------- G ------------Em ----- G
When all is said and done, what have we become?


CHORUS
---------A----------G-D -------------------A-------G-D/F#m
Glorious failures……oh oh at the feet of our Savior oh oh

---------A----------G-D ----------------A------G-D/F#m
Glorious failures…… oh oh in need of our Maker

Em
Lost on the way to the golden ring

--D/F#m
Can we find our way to the risen king

Em
Can faceless players in the games of man

D/F#m------------------------------------Em
Be precious children of the great I Am

---------- A-------------- G - D -------- A --- G-D/F#
Or are we Glorious failures… … ..Glorious failures


VERSE 2
-----A-----G ------Em-------------------Esus4
Our lives redeemed pulled from wreckage into light

-- A -------G --Asus4
A late reprieve granted by the grace of Christ

-------A ---- G ----------Em ----------- Esus4
We’ve broken free from the prison of our endless greed

----A----- G-------Asus4
At last we see an aching world so full of need

------------A --G ----------------Em ----- G
Your glory overcomes the failures we’ve become

(CHORUS)

BRIDGE
A ----------- G -------- A ---------------Bm
Glorious so glorious …. Glorious what you do in us

A ---------- G --------------------A ----------------Bm
Glorious so glorious, failure turns glorious when you breathe on us

(Repeat)

(CHORUS X2)

1 comment: