Sunday, March 15, 2009

Precipice


Isaiah 12.2 | “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the LORD GOD is my strength and my song..." (ESV)

I wrote this at a very low time in my life. I'd just been laid off from my job and I felt confused and weak and stupid. I went to the Christian Musician Conference -- which I thought was foolish since I didn't have any money coming in -- and let myself be immersed in music and songwriting for three days. When I came back and opened the book of Isaiah to 12:2... and the words took on a lyric quality that became a melody.

I wouldn't say I was suicidal. But I was definitely on a precipice of sorts, and the only thing I could do was rely on the goodness and graciousness of our God. I pray that these words comfort and console anyone who finds themself on their own precipice.


Key of D 4/4 Ballad About 92


VERSE 1

---------D------------------- D/Bm
On this precipice, with your finest gift

-------A-------------G
Set to throw it all away

-----------D----------------D/Bm
Clouds of fear and doubt surround me now

-----A-------------G
And hide your holy face

-----------Esus4----------------------Bm
But your prophet’s words reach out to me

---------Esus4------------G
With an ancient song of peace…


CHORUS

--------D --------- A ---------------G --------------Em
Surely God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid

---------D----------------- A----------------G
For the Lord my God is my strength, and my song

--------D------------A--------------G-----------------Em
Surely God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid

---------D --------------- A --------------- G
For the Lord my God is my strength, and my song

Bm---F#m ---Bm ----A---Bm---F#m
Hallelujah… ... Hallelujah… Hallelujah

----------D----------------A -----------------G
For the Lord my God is my strength and my song.

VERSE 2

-----------D---------------D/B
When your world becomes a storm-tossed sea

---------A---------------G
Neither hope nor land in sight

------------D--------------- D/B
When you’re on the run and overcome

------A-----------G
Surrendering the fight

----------Esus4 --------------Bm
Lift your eyes to Him let your tired heart sing

---------------Esus4 ---------G
The song that forces back the night…


CHORUS

BRIDGE
Bm----------------A ----------------G
Hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on … Hold on

Bm------------------A-------------------G
Hold on to the God who’s holding on to you
(repeat)

CHORUS

TAG

(after “Hallelujahs” sing)
-------------D--------------A
For the Lord my God is my strength…

---------Bm ---------------G
For the Lord my God is my strength…

---------D-----------------A --------------G
For the Lord my God is my strength and my song.

2 comments:

  1. Michael,

    This is a great song! I have the privilege of knowing you and knowing the struggle you had (if only from a short distance) during that time. The words are authentic, with regard to your experience, and true, with regard to God's faithfulness in those storm-tossed seas!

    Thanks for encouraging me with this one :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pick me ~ Pick me ~ Pick me!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete