Monday, March 16, 2009

On the Third Day



"On the Third Day" is my Easter song. It's meant to celebrate the wonder and mystery and awe that came into the world three days after the misery of Golgotha. Try as I might, the song doesn't do much justice to what that experience means, both then and now.

This is another of those cases where I really wish I could sing or play the piano or both. I think this has the potential to be a beautiful song, but it's hard to imagine that from this recording.

"Who's that doofus playing the piano?" Yeah, that's me. "Who's that super-flat voice trying to sing that bridge?" Yep, me again.

But the goal of this blog isn't to post polished, finished, beautiful songs. It's to help them move towards the day they might, through grace, become polished and beautiful. So do me a favor and focus on the song, not the singer!

Key of A, 4/4 speed about 94.

VERSE 1

E ------------------------------ C#min
G# G#G# F#G# A-G# E
Side by side in our upper room

E
G#-G#-G# F# G# A G# E
Disbelief at the brink of doom

D
B B G# A B F#
You asked me for a sign

E
A A A A A A G# E
You could cling to for all of time

D
B B G# G# A-B F#
I knew the most lasting truth

E
A A A A-A A A G# E
Would be this promise I made to you…

CHORUS

A--------------------------------D
A B C# A A A A E-F#
On the third day love will rise again

A--------------------------------D
A B C# A A A A E F#
On the third day you will find your friend

--------A ---------------------Bm------------D/F#
A B C# A A-A-A A D-C# A-B B
On the third day salvation will triumph over pain

A--------------------------------D
A B C# A A A A E F#
On the third day we will be as one

A-------------------------------------D
A B C# A A A A-A E F#
On the third day we’ll walk into the sun

A--------------------------Bm ------------D/F#
A B C# A A A D C# A B B
On the third day we’ll be free of all our chains

A
B B B A
On the third day

VERSE 2
E-------------------------------C#m
G# G# G# F# G# A-G# E
Now the third day is ages gone

E
G# G# G# G#-F# G# A# G# E
They call you foolish and say you’re wrong

D
B B G#-A B F#
They look around for me

E
A A A-A A A-G#-E
And see nothing but misery

D
B B G# G# A B F#
If they knew what we both knew

E
A A A A-A A A G# E
They’d know I’m living my life through you

CHORUS

BRIDGE

A
C#-B E-C#
Darkness closes

A
C# B E-C#
Hope grows weary

----------Bm ---A ------D/F#
B C# D-C# B C# A
But my promise lives in you (repeat)

CHORUS

TAG
A G
B B B A
On the third day

variation
Love arrives on the third day

variation
Hold on till the third day

variation
Till the third day

1 comment:

  1. Hey Michael,

    I love the words and the concept behind this song a lot. I found it is an easy singer, too! Thanks for letting me know about this blog. I'm looking forward to listening to your other posts... NOW :^)

    Reed

    ReplyDelete